"When an older person dies, it is compared to a library burning down"

 It was 8:56 a.m. the day before Good Friday 2023, and I was sitting in my first period classroom at Station Camp High School. What a shock I received when I opened a text message from my wife, Rosalind, indicating that Jane Dammann, our eighty-seven-year-old neighbor, had passed away the night before. She had fallen as she was leaving church and hit her head on a concrete barrier. She died instantly. 

Reflecting on the impact of that news, I began reminiscing about the forty-five plus years that we have been neighbors with Jane on South Oak Street in Adamsville, Tennessee. It caused me to remember what someone once said, "When an older person dies, it is like a library burning down." The stories are lost forever if they have not been written down or recorded in some way. We tried to remember so many stories from Jane that we knew personally. She had lived through some tumultuous times in her many years, often working two jobs and raising her two grandsons who lived with her. She was a tough, hard worker with energy and mostly good health until the last few years. She was a gifted seamstress, a knowledgeable gardener and cook; she lived within her means in a very frugal way.  

 In remembering her that day,  I read to my classes the story that I had written awhile back about Jane, entitled, "The Air-Conditioner is Running." But that story related only one encounter of very many which we experienced with this good lady over forty-five years.

Her death is a very real reminder of the importance of getting the stories written or recorded while the friend or loved one is still living.

In view of all this, I am eager to elaborate on the importance of recording memories for present and future generations. 

So, recently I have been teaching seniors at Station Camp High School, including three sections of the class titled, Current Issues in America. Matthew, my grandson, is in my 3rd period class. I have really loved teaching these students. I have learned so much from them during this assignment, which I was given because the school had not been able to hire a replacement teacher after Christmas. Having served as an administrator for more than thirty years, this class has been a motivating, enlightening experience.

In the hopes of sharing with the class some life lessons and stories from others who had a wealth of wisdom to share, my mind went immediately to a wonderful person named Brenda Huddleston, our neighbor of almost five years in Hendersonville. This awesome lady has been a professional business woman, an entrepreneur, lived in many different places, a civic leader, and has an impeccable character. Moreover, she has blessed our entire family in countess ways during this relatively short time we have known her.  

So one day, I asked Brenda if she would be willing to write down what she had learned in her life. I was amazed at how soon she completed the task. With her permission, I made copies of her well presented lessons and insights from her own "library" for my fifty  students. Listed below are her 26 golden recommendations: 

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IN LIFE
Brenda Huddleston 2023

1.      Keep your heart open.

2.      Try to be the best person you can be.

3.      Heartaches do not last a lifetime.

4.      Know the difference between being aggressive and being assertive and to know when to use them.

5.      God has put certain people in my life—some good and some bad. Learn the lesson from both and be grateful for both.

6.      You will always have those special memories in life. Cherish them.

7.      Use your brain.

8.      I have learned that ALL IS WELL WITH MY SOUL!

WHAT MY DAD TAUGHT ME

1.      Learn how to do things. There is no such thing as boys can only do that or girls should only do that.

2.      Treat everyone with respect.

3.      It doesn’t matter what you own, take care of it.

4.      No one is better than you or you’re not better than them.

5.      Save money.

6.      Listen to people. Really listen to them.

7.      Keep a positive attitude!

8.      Sometimes parents need to hear I love you, too!

 

WHAT MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME

1.       Have a voice in life.

2.      Make decisions for yourself.

3.      Don’t depend on other people for your happiness.

4.      Be patient.

5.      No procrastination! You can always change your mind.

 

WHAT MY AUNT TAUGHT ME

1.       Someone is always watching you. Lead by example.

2.      Choose your battles in life.

3.      Sometimes it’s better to lose a battle but win the war.

4.      Be careful who you date. You might fall in love with them.

5.      Pray, pray, pray. Have a relationship with God.


Well, maybe the moral to this post is: we are sad in the closing of one library, but we are excited in the opening of a new one. Look around and learn what new libraries need to be opened near you today. 

Comments

Popular Posts