G. Allen Bruce: "Do They Know We are Coming?"




G. Allen Bruce 1946-2023


 We were in flight over north Mississippi when Allen Bruce, our advanced math, physics, and computer programming teacher at Adamsville High School, asked me a curious question, "Do they know we are coming?" What a question, I thought at the time as I responded in the affirmative. As principal of AHS, I had arranged for a group of our teachers and central office staff to visit the Mississippi  University for Women in Columbus, Mississippi, to study how they were incorporating computer technology into their curriculum. Allen Bruce was one of those teachers who boarded the Aqua Glass Corporation plane that morning for a short flight from the McNairy County Airport to Columbus. Allen's question still lingers in my mind as I reflect on those days in the late 70s, 80s, and 90s, when we were all educators at Adamsville High School. 

That question was characteristic of Allen Bruce who was on a different wave length than many of us. He was an eccentric-type of  individual who took that thought process of questioning into the classroom. My perspective was--why would we arrange to have a local business fly us to Columbus, Mississippi to look at their computer instructional program if it wasn't known that we were coming? But, Allen came from a different angle.

He taught his students from the foundation of the "WHY". 
GAllen, as we often called him, was different as evidenced by his questions, stories, personal demonstrations, and humor, all of which he incorporated into his teaching style. And he wasn't afraid to share personal examples of failures, frustrations, and even fears with his students. 

He was not a procedural, upholder type of teacher. He did not assess students on exams, quizzes, or homework like most teachers, but he always knew his students and what they understood. He was a good man who had the gift of teaching mathematics. Most of all he loved teaching and he loved his students. 

I remember a story that came to my attention one day: Paige Irwin, a very good student, was tardy to Mr. Bruce's class. Instead of coming to the office to get a tardy slip, she went into the girls' restroom located across the hall from his classroom. Because his door was open, Paige could hear and so she listened to the lesson from the restroom. She did this for two reasons:  she did not want to disappoint him because she knew that he really frowned on tardiness and, more importantly, she did not want to miss the instruction for that day.

He was always doodling in a notebook or something at the back of the room during faculty meetings. His casual and seemingly non-engaging demeanor taught me a valuable lesson about "reading" an audience. You cannot always measure whether your audience is listening to you by observing their body language. He heard and understood the information being given and retained it more than some who were sitting in front with an affirming nod.

He taught me another lesson about conflict between faculty or staff members. The story was about his dad, who on one particular evening was resting on the front porch of their home in Ducktown after a long day of working in the copper mines. G. Allen was playing in the yard with his older brother who began bullying him. So he decided that he would wake his father up for some justice in the situation. This startled his dad who quickly reacted, "Go over to that peach tree and get two branches." Allen was jubilant that something was to be done. But, hold on. Walking back to the front porch, he asked himself--Why would Dad need TWO branches? He soon found out! That story helped to define my approach to conflict among the faculty or staff members. I would rather that they be mad and upset with me than to have conflict among themselves.

He also confirmed a valuable lesson I learned many years ago--the art of being wise is knowing what to overlook. He was not one to  follow the usual steps of teaching a skill lesson of mathematics or physics. He needed the freedom to teach in his unique way rather than being required to follow a traditional process of teaching. 

 Allen was a teacher who mastered the principle of not always being predictable. Often he would intentionally come across as a frustrated Shakespearean actor. He was "on stage" and in his element when he stood before his class.  I have often emulated his example of stepping out of character like an actor to emphasis a point when, in fact, I was not really upset.


But in regard to classroom management and discipline, I can't recall a single time when he sent a student to the office because of misbehavior. He kept them on the edge of their seats.

He had fun and it was not uncommon for Fred Carroll, Royce Rickman, Don Todd, Kenneth Feathers, and Allen to load up and go to the boys basketball state tournament in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I heard of those fun trips but I was never invited. In fact, I would like to have been "a fly on the wall" on those trips because I bet you I was sometimes the subject of conversation.

Mr. Bruce had a sense of humor that was often directed toward Miss Bachuss, the assistant principal at AHS. She was a wonderful educator who believed in process and procedure. This was totally opposite to Allen. He was a questioner and somewhat of a rebel to her upholder type of leadership. He would enjoy getting under her skin. Maurica Ross related the story of one day when there was noise in the hall outside his classroom. Mr. Bruce told the class not to worry--it was just Miss Bacchuss skateboarding down the hall. 

So, the stories and lessons could go on and on. But the one that I remember most is about the night when Kevin, the middle child of Allen and Shirley, did not come home. Allen called me at school early the next morning to inform me that he needed a substitute teacher because they had been up all night looking for their son. He seldom missed school for any reason, so I knew that it was a serious problem. It became even more obvious when he came by school later that morning to tell me what had happened.

 I still can see Allen in my mind as he told me the events of the previous twenty-four hours. He was unshaven, shirttail out, and hair uncombed. His eyes reflected fatigue, fear, and frustration. Somehow I could equate the look on his face with what the prodigal son's father must have looked like when his son left home. The story found in Luke 15:20 states that his father was longing for his return. Allen showed me the face of a loving father with a lost son that day and I could imagine the face of a loving God who is constantly watching for his children to come home. Peter said it well in 2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all will come to repentance."  I hope I never forget that picture of love. The rest of the story is that eventually Kevin showed up--in another state with someone he knew.  

Well, what do you think Allen did after his retirement from education? He became a truck driver! Some say that truck drivers today are the last of the great American cowboys. These folks have the  spirit of exploration, challenging experiences, and freedom. They love to create and be their own boss. Like Allen, though bound by certain guidelines, they perform like an actor on stage or a teacher before a classroom of challenging students. I can just imagine that he performed his assignments on the road in the same way he did in the classroom, with passion and an adventuresome spirit. 

A few days ago, John, my younger son, and I were talking about Allen Bruce and the teachers that he had at AHS during the 90s who were unique and impressive. He said, "As I look back through my now adult eyes I am so thankful for the great teachers who have impacted my life!" He said that Allen always gave the feeling that he loved to teach. As an administrator himself now, John, like many other former students, is constantly reminded and appreciative of the dedicated teachers who influenced his life and the lives of fellow students at AHS. 

Thanks, Allen, for the lessons that emerged from a mind, heart, and life of passion and love of teaching. Your legacy as teacher of young people at Adamsville High School for approximately thirty years will continue to be treasured by those students who sat at your feet as well as by your fellow faculty members. 

These are only a few of the countless, priceless stories which could be told. However, as we reflect on the life of Allen Bruce, my thoughts go back to that plane ride to Columbus, Mississippi, when he asked the question, "Do they Know We are Coming?" And now I can just imagine his thought on the recent day when he passed into eternity, "Do they Know that I am Coming?" I bet they do. 


Comments

Popular Posts